DownsSteam Tourist Railway & Museum invites you to Australia Day 2018 at the Drayton station and workshop precinct. Gates open from 10am to 3pm, with entry by gold coin donation. Flag raising and Australia Day Speeches will be held at 11.30am.
Check out just how much progress is being made by our dedicated volunteers and see why DownsSteam is becoming a major Toowoomba tourist attraction.
* Marvel at our former Tasmanian DP13 railmotor as we unveil our freshly painted 'Gatsby Flyer' livery applied by our skilled volunteers. When operational, the “Gatsby Flyer” will provide nostalgic fun on short tours across the Downs.
* Tasty Aussie food, cold drinks & barista coffee available on the Drayton platform.
* Live music by the Toowoomba Municipal Band.
* Face painting for kids of all ages.
* Explore our family friendly precinct with one of our knowledgeable volunteer tour guides; learn more about the history of DownsSteam, our current rollingstock restoration work and exciting upcoming rail tours.
* Relax in one of the former QR "sunlander" club and lounge coaches, for a small sample of the upcoming Great Divide Scenic Railway - "DownsSteam Winelander" experience.
* Check out the ongoing restoration of the “Pride of Toowoomba” – Steam Locomotive #106, proudly built at the Toowoomba Foundry in 1915 and now the only remaining C16 class steam locomotive. After a little more than a century and over a million miles of steaming across Queensland rails, this once proud steam engine has found its way back home and into the hands of our dedicated team of volunteer craftsmen.
* Discover the unique Dreamtime Carriage art exhibit by the talented Aboriginal/Italian artist "Dom", and be fully immersed in your living colour journey as Dom's recorded audio commentary guides you through a day in the dreamtime.
* Enjoy our beautiful award winning gardens and surrounds
* Visit our DownsSteam Station shop with train memorabilia for all ages
For more information please phone the Station office on (07) 4630 2358 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
DownsSteam is run entirely by volunteers and is dedicated to the establishment of a tourist railway for Toowoomba and the Darling Downs.