DownsSteam Museum

DAV 1131 - "Memory Coach"

DAV 1131 was one of 15 “Pullman” sleeping cars built during the 1920’s and were coded DAS about 1935. During the period 1975 – 1980, 13 were converted to Travelling Crew/Brake vans and recoded DAV. DAV 1131 is now our Museum carriage where visitors can view important historical artifacts that we have on display, these historical items were once an important facet of railway operations on the Downs.

A sample of some of the artifacts on display include: Locomotive firing shovels, Locomotive and wagon builders plates, Locomotive operating manuals, Historical railway photographs, Old Railway maps, Railway Crockery and Cutlery.

DAV1131 or "DAV" is now conveniently positioned in the dock platform at Drayton Railway Station for a more easier entry to the Museum collection.

Donations of any railway items or memorabilia are gratefully accepted as we continue to expand our Museum collection.

Robey Stationary Steam Engine - No 30274

 Delivered: 10-4-1911 to Sydney. 3hp Class A SC Portable. This type of engine was the smallest of engines built by Robey, Class A refers to the simplest of valve gears, a slip eccentric driving a slide valve. Since arriving at DownsSteam during 2007 it has undergone restoration to full working order and can be found in operation during DownsSteam open days and special events.

1177 - 60 ton Diesel Locomotive

 The 1170 class were a class of diesel locomotive built by Walkers Limited, Maryborough for Queensland Railways between 1956 and 1958. The 1170 class were intended as a replacement for the PB15 class steam locomotives on branch lines. They were built by Walkers Limited in Maryborough under licence from GE Transportation. The class were popularly known as 'Paw Paws' after a racehorse, which in turn was named after a character in a contemporary cartoon strip. They spent most of their working lives based at Townsville but in later years were used around Brisbane and the southern region of the state as shunters. 1177 is used as a static display and source of spare parts for 1172 - "Drayton Bell".

LJ Sheep Wagon

Our two sheep wagons were built around 1955 with a rated capacity of 92 sheep. They were used for transporting sheep from the sale yards to the abattoir. One of the wagons is in good condition, despite sitting in a paddock bogged down in black soil for the 12 years prior to our acquisition in 2002.

OLO-44344 "Golden Fleece" Tanker

The OLO wagons came up from NSW in early 1992 whilst still owned by Ampol. Due to Ampol being bought by Caltex a couple of years later, the 18 OLO wagons were stored on the old grain sidings at Pinkenba from around 1994 until 1996 when QR bought them from Caltex. The initial plan from QR was to make use of the bogies and brake equipment. After being sold to QR in 1996, the majority of the OLO wagons were repainted in the usual wagon grey. This most likely would have been done in Toowoomba as it was one of only two remaining wagon maintenance facilities .

Donated by Neil Mansell